Saturday, February 9, 2008

In George Washington's Footsteps

We saw some very cool stuff today. We came to New Jersey to see John. While here, we went to Philadelphia. We were in the birthplace of our nation. Walked in the same room where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Very cool! We walked a few blocks away from the touristy part of town looking for food and saw some very interesting people. Walked quickly back to the touristy part. Although, the internet will tell you that Philadelphia is the safest large city in the US. Just stay away from large cities. That's what I say.
Independence Hall. The Declaration of Independence was signed on the first floor in the room to the left of the front door. The bell tower held the Liberty Bell at one time.
The room. It just gave me chills.

The tower of Independence Hall. Once housed the Liberty Bell. You may remember it from National Treasure. Pitifully, we had a hard time not focusing on that, while we were there. The clock really works. And there is a bell in the tower that chimes on the hour.

The Liberty Bell. It was very cool to see. You know, I have heard about it my whole life in history classes. So many people use it as a symbol. And there it was. Right there in front of me. It makes history very real. The Liberty Bell was made to celebrate the 50th anniversary of William Penn's Charter of Privileges, Pennsylvania's original constitution. Who knew it would become such an icon?
We also saw the rooms where George Washington and John Adams were inaugurated. That was pretty neat.
It was a good trip. I drove through parts of the US that I have never been through all by myself. And for those of you who haven't driven with me, that is saying something. I even made it home without getting lost. Drove through the nation's capital without breaking a sweat. I am taking a bow.



1 comment:

Carol said...

So how long of a drive was that? I'm so jealous you get to see all this history. Thanks for sharing. That's so awesome. Too bad all that they created has turned into such crap. I'm sure they are rolling in their graves at the politicians these days!