Monday, October 4, 2010

Youth Leadership Camp in Boston











I don't know when John grew up, but it must have happened when I wasn't looking. It seems like just yesterday, he was following his dad around the yard with a bubble mower. They were all sent to a YMCA summer camp this year by the Army and John was chosen by their camp counselors to go to a leadership training conference in Boston in September. He flew on a plane all by himself. Stayed in a hotel room without an adult. He did just fine and had a great time. I think these opportunities are good for all of us. It was good for him to go away and know he can have fun away from home. I learned that he is
smart enough to take care of himself and that I will not fall to pieces when my kids all leave home. Although, I do plan to have several small dogs that I can dress in doll's clothes. or maybe cats.... Anyway, back to John's trip. They did some sight seeing. They went to the JFK Library and a walking tour of historical Boston. Part of the conference included some photography classes. You'd think he could come home with some pictures of himself, right? Nope. Not one. He took some great pictures....and some 14 year old boy pictures. What a great kid! I'm so lucky to get to be his mom.


1 comment:

Carol said...

that's so cool he got to do that! and wow for letting him go!