Monday, December 1, 2008

The Christmas Tree Ritual












We have always had a live tree. We enjoy going to a tree farm, picking out the perfect tree, chopping it down and getting it home. We really had a good time this year too. The tree is not exactly what I envisioned. I wanted a really tall tree this year, but there weren't any really tall ones at the farm and we drove 2 hours to get there, so we had to get it there. We had a really good trip. Once we picked the tree out, John got to work cutting it down and everyone else started playing. He's such a hard worker.
Emily gets car sick if she reads too much so we had to take an unexpected pit stop on the side of the road so she could pull herself together. She was very nauseated. She looked so little standing there beside the truck feeling so bad. She sat down on the ground because she felt so crummy. And her crazy mom took the camera out and tried to take her picture. Did not make me very popular. I put the camera back in the truck and turned around and she was laying on the ground. Poor, poor Emily. She's so tough.
And now since I said something about John and Emily, I guess I have to say something about Ethan too. Ethan, Ethan, Ethan.....what can I say about Ethan??? He is currently possessed with football. Our county's high school football team is going to state and the state game is on Saturday. Ethan is bent on going, but it is 4 hours away. And dad does not want to go. It will make for a LONG weekend. Sooooo, we'll see how that pans out.
I have such wonderful children. I love them all so much! They make me happy. They have homemade presents for each other under the tree. They are all so unique and lovely in their own special way. Christmas shopping for them is so fun. When I think I have found the perfect present it is such a feeling of triumph. John is usually the hardest to shop for, but this year he is making out like a fat rat. He does NOT like me saying that. He gets giggly and it makes his grossed out for some reason. He has been really easy this year. And come to think of it, his father has been easy to shop for this year. He is also doing very well in the presents department. Ethan and Emily have been difficult this year. Emily is moving out of the toy era and she is not quite into electronics. Ethan has switched gears on us a little bit. He moved from Star Wars into the Civil War and now he is into football, BUT football stuff can be VERY expensive. Sooooo, what to do.....I'll let you know after Christmas day.

1 comment:

Karen M. said...

A real tree! What a great tradition that is, we have all lost that fun part of Christmas, thanks for keeping the tradition alive and well, what fun they are all having, you have a great family. John is so cute with the boys!