Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hijacked




I’m hijacking Kathy’s blog while she is at work.



THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

The preceding is the introduction to a series of papers entitled “The Crisis” by Thomas Paine. It is one of my favorites and I need to read it more often. He wrote it during the revolutionary war and General Washington found it so inspiring he had it read to the soldiers at Valley Forge prior to the attack on Trenton . Those poor fellows needed some inspiration. I digress, a history lesson is not my intent today. I was reminded of this quote recently as one of my buddies was deployed to Iraq again. He and a couple of more friends were sent back and I get to stay home. Yes there is some guilt on my part but mostly I’m proud of my association with Dave and guys like him. I absolutely don’t feel guilty enough to volunteer to go. Nobody volunteers to go back a second time – there are still those who need to go for their first. We only go when told but we go willingly and we go dutifully. I would like to thank the families of the deployed soldiers too. These are the true heroes. The demands of raising kids, home repairs, errands and life ups and downs continue at home only there is only one parent left to tend to it all. Regardless of how you feel about the war just remember we have brave men and women, away from home and family, standing ready to serve the citizens of our country - and they do deserve our thanks. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. Good Luck Dave and God Speed!

I am stepping down from the soapbox. I’m not sure I had a purpose to my rant but I’m not going to edit it. It feels good to write down my gratitude. Maybe I am picking up this blog thing.

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy rants from the guest blogger. Thanks for the reminder. It's very easy to be complacent sitting in the comfort of one's home miles away from those defending my right to do so. God bless the soldiers defending our freedom and give strength to them and their families.