Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Memory Lane Part 2

I know ya'll are seeing my mom in a cast and wondering when that is going to come into the story. Just wait and see. And those pictures are horrible. That camera was on it's last legs. The next camera I got was my first digital camera, a Fuji, and my favorite so far. Alright, back to the story. So, my mom is at home packing and taking care of Emily, who is now throwing up, if you'll remember. And that was a whole days affair. Ethan broke his toe midmorning and we got to the house for good at dinner. The next day....uneventful, packing and taking care of Emily. BUT the next day....at whole different story. I am upstairs in my bedroom. Mom is down in the garage finishing up. And she is rolling up the waterhose and takes the nozzle off and sets it on the ground. I'm sure she is cringing as she is reading this. Then she accidentally steps on it and it rolls under her foot and down she goes. And my mom, if you know her, does NOT do anything half heartedly. She broke the the tibia, the fibula, AND one of the foot bones. This is Thursday and we are going to close the NEXT day. Before we go to the ER mom insists on changing her pants because they got wet from the water hose. And "bring me my lipstick". For real! Not kidding. We spend a good part of the day in the ER. My poor mom. And she is apologizing to ME for wasting time. Can ya believe it? And so the good doctor tells her to go home and REST. Keep OFF of that leg. They put a temporary splint on the leg to allow for swelling and tell her to see an orthopedic doctor the next day. But, most importantly, keep off that leg. Does she listen?? NOOO! We go home and she starts packing. There is no telling her to sit down. And Emily is still sick. But you know, there is something inside you at this point that just keeps pushing you forward. You KNOW you have to be out of this house in 2 days. That is not going away. What else are you going to do, right? I think we are all worthless by now, but we kept moving ahead and everyone is in really good spirits even. Ethan has overcome the pain of his broken toe and is keeping us entertained with his funny looking run that he does with his special shoe. My mom is so tough. She is not complaining of pain. She is joking with the kids and seems not to be deterred at all by the 3, THREE broken bones in her leg. So, the next day. Friday. Dday. I drop my mom at the orthopedic doctor's office on my way to closing. We close on the house, say a thankful prayer, and all go home to finish the packing, hopefully, before the movers come the next day. And man, we are just one step ahead of him the whole time. And he was so nice. His name was Dallas. He was so sympathetic to us. I hope he has had many blessings for all the comfort he was to us that day. And we have had some contact with John all this week. He is feeling dreadful that all of this has occurred and he is not home to help out. As it turns out he is going to be MIA for the next couple of moves. I think he planned it that way! And we send my poor mom home from her vacation with a broken leg. She won't even let us walk her into the airport. She doesn't want the kids out of the car in that "crowded place". Always thinking of her Little People. She had to have surgery to repair her bones. I felt horrible. And that was our week. All that happened in ONE week. We picked up John from the airport and he didn't even know where he lived. We joked about not picking him up. We picked him up from the airport on the way to have Ethan's cast removed. He wore it for 10 days. He was so funny looking after he got the cast off. He ran like he still had it on. Funny, funny, funny. I wouldn't have planned that week like that if I had it to do over, but it did provide some special bonding time for me and my mom and it just feels good to know that when the chips were down I didn't crumble. I'm certain I didn't respond perfectly to everything, (please don't call my mom for verification of this) but I didn't sit in a corner and suck my thumb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bout time you got caught up!