Sunday, June 8, 2008

Jamestown Fieldtrip




Got to go on a fieldtrip with John this month. I think, well, actually, I know he did NOT want me to go at first. Thought I would be an embarrassment. However, he was wrong. We had a lot of fun together. Made some good memories. And learned some things too. I also took a beautiful picture of John. I'm certain it would have won an award......but, I accidentally deleted it. Way to go!

I'm ashamed to say I thought the 3 ships that landed at Jamestown were the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. I learned that the ships that Captain John Smith and Christopher Newport sailed into Jamestown were the Godspeed, the Susan Constant, and the Discovery. Silly me!! And most people think Pocohantas really married John Smith, BUT, did you know.....she really married John Rolfe. John Rolfe is the man who cultivated successful tobacco in this part of the United States. Before him, tobacco grown here was bitter and not very popular.

It was a great day. And the best part was getting to spend some precious valuable time with John. It's getting harder and harder to do the older he gets.

1 comment:

Carol said...

once again, you guys have the coolest fieldtrips!